City of Mill Valley
The City of Mill Valley welcomes applications for the position of Building Inspector II.
This vacant position offers the ability to work in lovely Mill Valley, at the foot of Mt. Tamalpais, offering an array of topographical features and stunning architectural varieties. The department enjoys working with the Mill Valley community and has built meaningful relationships with the various contractors, developers, and homeowners it services. The Building Inspector II can expect to stay engaged with all types of residential and commercial projects including new construction, remodels, and additions. We look forward to reviewing your application!
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under the direction of the Building Official, the Building Inspector II conducts inspections for residential and commercial properties in all stages of construction. The position is responsible for enforcing all building-related codes, reviewing building plans and specifications for conformance, issuing permits, assisting at the building counter, and performing other duties as assigned.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Planning & Building Department is responsible for the administration of the City’s building and zoning ordinances, implementation of the General Plan, enforcement of municipal code, design review and environmental assessment, building permits, and inspections.
The Building Inspector II works closely with individuals from several departments including Planning, Public Works, contractors/consultants, and other agencies to ensure construction activities comply with all applicable codes and regulations.
ABOUT MILL VALLEY
The City of Mill Valley is 14 miles north of San Francisco and 40 miles from California’s famous wine country. Mill Valley is a town with a rich and eclectic cultural history and a lively and engaged citizenry.
Mill Valley is primarily a suburban community, with distinctive residential neighborhoods representing the many eras of the town’s growth from a small mill town to the modern full service city it is today. Our population’s approximately 14,000 residents live in a 4.8 square mile area, although we serve as the center for a larger unincorporated Mill Valley area with more than 30,000 residents.
With a staff of almost 120 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $41 million, the City of Mill Valley is a full-service municipality that prides itself on efficient, effective and courteous service delivery with a commitment to operational excellence.
The ideal candidate will have excellent customer service skills and an eye for detail. They must possess significant knowledge of relevant codes, ordinances, and safety standards and be able to apply them accurately in the field. The ideal candidate will have three (3) years of experience as a building inspector or in a related field involving inspection and/or code enforcement. Alternatively, four (4) years of journey level experience in the building trades may be considered qualifying. College training in the areas of civil engineering, building technology, or related subjects may be considered toward experience requirements. Possession of – or the ability to obtain – the ICC certification for Building Inspector is required; possession of other ICC certifications is highly desirable.
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 15 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- “9/80” work schedule
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or the equivalent thereof for employees who elect Western Health Advantage HMO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2.5% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $600/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- The City also pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
- Free gym membership at the Mill Valley Community Center
- Discounted fitness, children’s, youth, and adult recreational programming and classes through Mill Valley Recreation
- Retirement Health Savings Account (1-1.5% mandatory contribution)
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City’s official application form, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit www.calopps.org.