Website City of Carmel-by-the-Sea
Join us in the enchanting coastal community of Carmel-by-the-Sea, where an exciting career opportunity awaits you! APPLY TODAY.
The City has an opening for an Assistant or Associate Planner
Apply by March 1, 2024
Assistant Planner: $75,857.60-$92,185.60
Associate Planner: $83,782.40-$101,816
PLUS Excellent benefit package, including participation in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); health, dental, and vision insurance.
Join us in shaping the future of one of California’s most enchanting coastal communities! The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea seeks a dynamic and dedicated individual to join our team as an Assistant Planner or Associate Planner. As a member of our dynamic team, you’ll contribute to the charm, beauty, and character of our City locals affectionally call “The Village.” As an Assistant or Associate Planner you will work alongside a passionate and collaborative team on projects that leave a lasting impact on our community, help preserve the character of our city and plan for the future. This position requires full-time, in-person attendance. Regular remote work arrangements are not available for this role.
Assistant Planner: This Assistant Planner is the entry level position in the Planner classification series. Under direct supervision, the Assistant Planner usually performs most of the duties required of the Associate Planner level, but are not expected to function at the same skill level and usually exercise less independent discretion and judgment in matters related to work procedures and methods. Employees are expected to have limited, but directly-related, work experience. As experience is gained, assignments would be performed with greater independence and advancement to the next classification can take place.
Associate Planner: The Associate Planner is the mid-level position in the Planner classification series. The Associate Planner performs professional and technical planning work in both current and long-range/advanced planning activities. Associate planners work independently with occasional instruction or assistance as new or complex situations arise.
The Assistant Planner, under direct supervision, will:
- Prepare analyses of residential development projects to ensure compatibility with the City’s General Plan, local Coastal Program, Municipal Code and Residential Design Guidelines, which emphasize protecting the City’s character;
- Prepare and present reports, and recommendations, for and to the Planning Commission, City Council, and other boards and commissions.
- Perform necessary research and assist with reports for Municipal Code amendments, and other advanced planning projects and plans;
- Respond to public inquiries at the counter, by phone and email;
- Prepare and process documents pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and;
- Assist in continuously improving development review and administrative procedures to facilitate efficient project review, and a high level of customer service.The duties of the Associate Planner include:
The duties described above under Assistant Planner, with a greater degree of complexity and autonomy.
The ideal candidate for the Assistant/Associate Planner position is an individual who values customer service, and has an interest in both current and advanced planning. The ideal candidate will bring collaborative, team-centered qualities to the Department; be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and self-assured with the ability to exercise a high degree of common sense and sound judgment.
The candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of planning and zoning functions and California State laws, CEQA, architectural and site design review.
- Effective communication skills with all project members, including contractors, architects, special consultants, applicants, and coworkers;
- Effective presentation skills;
- Basic to advanced computer skills (GIS skills are also desirable); and,
- A proven ability to navigate land use conflicts.
Education and Work Experience
Assistant Planner: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, environmental planning, public or business administration or a related field, and one year of professional planning experience. A Master’s degree in planning or related field is desirable.
Associate Planner: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, environmental planning, public or business administration or a related field, and three (3) years of professional planning experience. A Master’s degree in planning or related field is desirable.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.