Website City of Emeryville/Management of Emeryville Services Authority (MESA)
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT AND POSITION
The Emeryville City Attorney’s Office is looking for a qualified and motivated Assistant City Attorney. We are a small office with two full-time attorneys and one part-time legal assistant. This full-time position has a 35 hour per week work schedule.
The position provides primary legal support and guidance to the City’s Planning Commission, the Community Development Department, and other City Departments including the Clerk’s Office, Public Works, Community Services, Police, Finance, and Human Resources. In addition, the Assistant City Attorney works directly under the City Attorney/Redevelopment Agency General Counsel and may be called upon to cover all aspects of the City Attorney/General Counsel’s duties as needed.
This is an at-will position that serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority, which is the City Attorney.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant City Attorney is expected to provide legal advice and representation on a wide variety of municipal law topics that will change over time; however, the current responsibilities include the following:
- Providing legal advice to the Planning Commission and Community Development Department, including the Community Development Director, on real estate and land use matters, planning and building regulations in the Municipal Code, land use applications and entitlements (including interpreting and applying state and local housing requirements), environmental law including CEQA, and drafting and reviewing various land use related agreements, policy documents, required findings, and legislation
- Attending evening Planning Commission meetings, and other day and evening public and staff meetings as necessary
- Assisting with long-range planning projects including affordable housing and other development projects
- Assisting and overseeing outside counsel with respect to civil litigation matters, land use related projects, and other matters as needed
- Preparing legal opinions and advice for City officials and staff
- Filling in for the City Attorney/General Counsel as necessary
- Performing other duties as assigned
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS AND EXPERTISE:
- Significant experience and expertise in CEQA, real estate and land use, the Brown Act/public meeting requirements, the California Public Records Act, and public contracting, bidding, and prevailing wage laws
- Experience in drafting and interpreting contracts, resolutions, ordinances, and policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication, legal research and writing, decision-making, and leadership skills
- Willingness to learn new areas of the law and to adapt to changing work assignments as necessary
- Experience in providing advice and interacting with elected officials
- Dedication to public service, a strong work ethic, and high ethical standards
- Graduation from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the California State Bar
- Two (2) to four (4) years of relevant legal experience. Preference will be given to candidates who possess at least five (5) or more years of legal experience as a land use attorney or closely related field.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The MESA provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Salary range is $11,742 to $15,850 monthly.
To be considered for this exciting career opportunity, you must submit a completed application and resume online (paper applications will not be accepted). This position is open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.