Website CityofGilroy City of Gilroy
A community with a spice for life.
$88,709.00 – $107,826.00 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits
An additional 5% step (Step F) is available to employees in this job classification after
completion of five years of service, one year at Step E, and good performance
Opportunity to work a 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off.
The City of Gilroy is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity,
equity, and inclusion. Join our team!
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill a full-time Accountant position. In this exciting
opportunity the Accountant will work under general supervision of a Finance Manager,
and perform professional accounting work in the establishment, maintenance, and
analysis of financial accounts and records. The Accountant will also prepare a variety of
financial and statistical reports, and perform related work as required. Moreover, this
position is a journey-level classification who will be fully qualified and capable of
independently performing the full range of accounting duties and can successfully
complete more complex work and projects. Incumbents in this classification may
provide training and guidance to less experienced employees.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
The goal of the Finance Department is to provide timely and accurate financial
information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s
assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner; and
provide friendly and efficient utility billing services to the city’s water and waste water
customers. We are a fast-paced team environment that prides itself in providing
exceptional customer service. We are motivated, energetic, and creative when it comes
to serving our community.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
• Possess journey-level government accounting skills and can accurately field
questions and provide guidance on city finance and accounting matters.
• Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the
ability to succinctly summarize complex financial information.
• Foster collaboration, set an example for the team, and demonstrate a positive
• Be knowledgeable with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for dayto-
day accounting activities.
• Have excellent project management skills and can prioritize tasks accordingly.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills and can work with various levels within the
• Have experience using an Enterprise Resource Planning system for city finance and
accounting matters to include tracking fixed assets. Experience with Tyler Munis
• Have a strong attention to detail and be a stickler for accuracy.
• Have experience providing information and support to the annual audit process.
• Be an advanced user of Excel.
• Be a Certified Public Accountant.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS:
• Complete implementation of Fixed Assets Module in Tyler Munis
• Facilitate the FY22 financial audit/closing in the new Tyler Munis ERP
• Learn new Tyler Munis ERP/ Financial system
• A bachelor’s degree (four-year degree) from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or closely related field of study.
• Two years of professional accounting experience in a municipality or other similar setting.
• Demonstrated ability to perform journey-level, professional accounting work, including the successful completion of complex projects and reports.
• Strong computer skills with proficiency utilizing programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Strong 10-key skills.
• Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and have a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
• Must pass an employment background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment and a credit check.
• Prefer non-tobacco user.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
A detailed cover letter expressing your interest in the position with the City of Gilroy is preferred.
A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience is preferred.
A list of three (3) professional references
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the “Apply” link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: June 6, 2023
First Round Oral Board: June 29, 2023
Final Interview and practical exercise: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com