City of Gilroy
A community with a spice for life!
Public Works Department
LEVEL I $7,927.92 – $9,636.42 Monthly Plus Excellent Benefits
LEVEL II $8,757.33 – $10,644.50 Monthly Plus Excellent Benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is currently recruiting for a full-time level I or II (depending on qualifications and experience) Civil Engineer to provide technical assistance for Capital Improvement Program (CIP) delivery projects in the Public Works Department. CIP engineering tasks will be the primary focus of this position. However, to appropriately respond to community needs, the Engineer I/II may also provide support to the Land Development and Transportation engineering sections, so adaptability and flexibility are keys to success in this position. In this exciting opportunity, the Engineer I/II will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Civil Engineer and will perform professional or sub professional engineering work in the field and office. Assignments will involve designing, investigating, developing, and constructing a wide variety of public works facilities, and engineering projects that are geared towards transforming and modernizing the City of Gilroy and making a positive impact in the community.
The Public Works Engineering Division is comprised of three engineering sections overseen by the City Engineer: Traffic/Transportation Engineering, Capital Improvement Program (CIP), and Land Development.
Though the primary focus for this position is CIP, work assignments may vary and may include any of the following:
CIP: prepare plans, specifications and engineering estimates for Capital Improvement Projects, prepare requests for proposal/qualifications and contracts in conformance with the City’s Purchasing Policy, oversee the City’s 5-Year Paving Program through the use of StreetSaver, project manage consultant led project and inspection teams, and assist the Senior Engineer with project budgeting and grant writing.
Traffic/Transportation: prepare plans, specifications, and engineering estimates for traffic and transportation related projects, prepare requests for proposal/qualifications and contracts in conformance with the City’s Purchasing Policy, project manage various traffic and transportation projects and inspection teams, manage the City’s Sidewalk Repair Program, work on various traffic studies, participate in regional transportation programs and initiatives, and assist the City Engineer with project budgeting and grant writing.
Land Development: assist in the review and processing of land development projects, plans for conformance to City standards and policies, storm water management plans with City consultants, preparation of City plan check comments, and construction material submittals. The Engineer will engage with developers and construction inspectors to track project review and approval schedules, and provide coordination with City master plan utility consultants.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
• Be passionate and excited to contribute ideas toward and complete Capital Improvement Projects.
• Have experience in designing, constructing, and delivering capital projects.
• Produce clear and concise written correspondence/documents.
• Have interpersonal skills that allow creative communication to understand and resolve the issues for all stakeholders.
• Have experience with analysis of traffic impact studies, development reviews, and technical studies.
• Be able to interpret engineering plans, specifications, and contract documents.
• Demonstrate exceptional project management skills.
• Have strong time management skills to effectively manage workload.
• Have strong attention to detail.
• Have exemplary customer service skills coupled with a sincere desire to provide service to the community.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS/ASSIGNMENTS:
• Prepare plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) for public works capital improvement projects including roadways, trails, water, sewer, facilities-related projects, and storm drain utility projects.
• Annual pavement, sewar and water line repair, maintenance, and replacement projects.
• Assist in administration of the bi-annual Public Works Department budget and Capital Improvement Program.
• Administer consultant contracts.
• Assist City Engineer and/or Senior Civil Engineer with high priority capital projects.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
• One year of responsible civil engineering experience or a related internship (paid or unpaid).
• Possess an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate or obtain certification issued by the State of California within one year or before end of probation period whichever occurs first. (Note: Preference may be given to candidates who already possess the CA EIT certification)
• Willing to continue education and training, expand skills, attend seminars and workshops.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
• Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
• Pass a background check which includes a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
• Prefer non-tobacco user.
ENGINEER II (Includes qualifications listed above for Engineer I with the following differences):
• Four years of progressively responsible engineering experience in work equivalent to that performed by an Engineer I.
• Valid registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) issued by the State of CA at time of application.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
A detailed resume focusing on relevant work experience and education.
A cover letter expressing your specific interest in this position with the City of Gilroy.
A copy of the required certificates
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the “Apply” link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: July 17, 2022
Interview: August 11, 2022
Finalist Interview: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.