Website City of Hayward
JOB TITLE: Accounting Manager
AGENCY: City of Hayward
LOCATION: Hayward, CA
FILING DEADLINE: March 4, 2024
SALARY RANGE: $ 151,486.40 – $184,121.60 Annually
Under general direction of the Deputy Director of Finance, and with input as appropriate from the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager will plan and supervise the Accounting Division of the Finance Department, to assist in developing and implementing financial planning, operations and reporting procedures. Further, this role will evaluate, develop and implement accounting systems and procedures. This class is a division head in the Finance Department. The incumbent will perform a variety of finance and accounting tasks involving complex governmental accounting and reporting processes. The Accounting Manager exercises direct supervision over professional, technical and/or support staff. An eligibility list will be created for this position. Essential duties require standard office environment requirements including sitting for prolonged periods, etc. Effective interaction with the public and all different levels of City staff is required. Being able to drive to various location throughout the City to fulfill assigned duties is also required.
· Directs, plans and organizes the activities of the Accounting Division, including developing and implementing division goals, objectives, policies and procedures, and priorities.
· Directs the preparation of financial and accounting reports as mandated by Federal, State and City laws, regulations or ordinances, including the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), State Controller’s reports, grant reports, the city-wide Cost Allocation Plan, and other related reports.
· Develops financial statement formats in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and legal requirements.
· Ensures that the General Ledger is a proper reflection of current financial activities; takes appropriate action to resolve discrepancies.
· Directs the City’s automated accounting system, including the general ledger and all required subsidiary ledgers.
· Reviews, recommends, and implements accounting and financial operations for efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations, including propriety of accounts, internal controls, accounting and cash control policies.
· Establishes system controls for financial systems and develops procedures to improve existing systems.
· Directs and oversees the City’s payroll operations.
· Plans, organizes, and provides direct supervision of professional and support staff assigned to the Accounting Division.
· Reviews workload and schedules the status of projects and availability of personnel for assignments.
· Reviews reports prepared by accounting staff for accuracy and to ensure compliance with policies and regulations; trains and evaluates performance and initiates disciplinary action when appropriate.
· Analyzes and prepares accounting and financial information and presentation materials.
· Coordinates activities with other departments and agencies; provides information and assistance to the public and City departments regarding accounting and financial matters, policies and practices.
· Manages both internal and external audits, including coordinating the preparation of schedules, gathering information and ensuring access to records.
· Maintains current knowledge of and develops and implements Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statements.
· Performs related work as necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is strong technically and has the skills sufficient to be the arbiter of decisions ensuring compliance with GAAP as well as auditing and other municipal compliance issues. Equally important, the Incumbent will be a skilled and effective leader, having demonstrated ability to grow teams, guide performance, cross-train team members, and provide guidance for career advancement of subordinates. Strong communication skills are vital as is the ability to balance workloads with available resources, while implementing best practices. The Incumbent will have the highest integrity, be a capable change-agent and able to support and lead their team. A caring, customer service-oriented attitude is essential in building and maintaining relationships inter-departmentally.
Key attributes and characteristics:
· Experience in effectively managing outside consultants, including outside auditors.
· Capable and experienced in setting and revising policies and procedures.
· Capable and experienced in change management.
· Capable and experienced in managing changes to the organizational chart and re-assigning duties within a department.
· Experienced in hiring employees and building an effective team.
· Able to bring structure and accountability to their division.
· Able to delegate appropriately and effectively.
· Experience in addressing succession planning issues.
· The Incumbent will be a team-player and be able build cross-divisional collaboration to address isolation and work silos.
· The Incumbent will have experience in preparing and making presentations to senior management.
With over 160,000 residents and encompassing 61 square miles, Hayward is the sixth largest city in the San Francisco Bay Area. This East Bay City is strategically located 14 miles south of Oakland, 25 miles southeast of San Francisco and 26 miles north of San Jose. Hayward is known as the “Heart of the Bay” and is a transportation hub with an extensive network of freeways, bus lines, two BART stations, an Amtrak station and the Hayward Executive Airport. Hayward is, according to the 2010 census, the second-most ethnically diverse community in California, evidenced by its many cultural events and diverse local businesses. This is a family-oriented community that is home to Cal State East Bay, its historic downtown, a PGA championship golf course, and some of the best weather in the Bay Area! Hayward has capitalized on all of its advantages and caught the eye of young professionals, families and major developers.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Hayward-Accounting-Manager-Final-Brochure-v5.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/hayward-accounting-mgr/. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information please contact:
To apply for this job please visit koffassociates.com.