Website City of Larkspur
Chief Building Official
Community Development Department – Building Division
City of Larkspur, California
Annual Salary: $124,308 to $166,584 DOE/DOQ
With cost-of-living adjustments of 4%, 3%, and 3% the next three fiscal years.
Due to the increase in demand, the City of Larkspur will hire its first in-house Chief Building Official (CBO) in almost 20 years! Prior to this new development, the City used a contractor to manage its exciting, fast-paced roster of residential and commercial developments. The City seeks a CBO with strong project management skills and a substantial background in building inspection and construction. The CBO will oversee the Building Division within the Community Development Department, which provides permit issuance, plan review, and building inspection services. Larkspur is looking for someone with exceptional interpersonal skills, who enjoys mentoring and leading others, and building positive relationships with other City departments, community clients, design professionals, and contractors. The next CBO will serve as the subject matter expert on all things related to building codes and safety, facilitate professional correspondence with customers, and welcome alternative ideas and solutions. This is a stimulating career opportunity to lead a dynamic team of two full-time staff, oversee an approximate budget of $758K, and focus on collaboration and partnership to provide the best possible services to the City. If you have a background in providing excellent customer service, building partnerships, and improving processes and want to foster an innovative workplace, apply today!
See the full recruitment brochure here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/8ce44772-3dd1-4539-8628-65be08d0ddcc
THE JOB / IDEAL CANDIDATE
For the first time in nearly 20 years, the City of Larkspur will hire its first in-house Chief Building Official (CBO) due to an increase in demand. The CBO oversees the Building Division in the Community Development Department serving as the principal enforcement officer of the building and housing codes of the City, while reporting to the Community Development Director. This leader will have two full-time staff and oversee an approximate budget of $758K. The CBO will work to train and support staff, establish responsibilities, and set goals for the Division. The successful candidate will be an excellent collaborator, working closely with various City staff, boards, commissions, committees, contractors, and developers. They will use their fiscal expertise to prepare the Division’s budget and analyze financial reports.
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is highly responsive with a strong customer service focus and has the emotional intelligence and political savvy to build relationships and manage expectations. The CBO will be an experienced leader who builds and mentors staff, is creative and flexible, and has strong problem-solving skills. The City is looking for a CBO who is able to interpret the code in a way that responds to evolving technologies and market conditions, while ensuring the protection of public health and safety of its constituents. They have experience with innovation, technology, and process improvements and are eager to serve as a visionary leader.
Sufficient experience and education related to building and operations to demonstrate the knowledge and skills listed and to perform the essential duties is required. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is:
· Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work major course work in pre-engineering, construction technology, or a job-related field.
· At least five years increasingly responsible and directly related experience in building and related inspections, plan checking, or code enforcement, including at least two years of lead or supervisory experience.
· Possession of applicable I.C.C. Building Official and Plans Examiner certifications.
· Possess a valid California Driver’s License at the time of appointment.
· The incumbent must be available during public counter hours, which are currently Mondays and Wednesdays until noon (and subject to change in the future).
· Options to work an alternative work schedule (9/80, 4/10) if desired.
· Be willing and able to work occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
· Additional technical level experience in building inspection and building code enforcement may be substituted for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: An annual salary of $124,308 to $166,584 DOE/DOQ (COLA’s of 4%, 3%, and 3% are scheduled for the next three fiscal years) and an attractive benefits package
HOW TO APPLY: For first consideration, apply ASAP at https://wbcpinc.com/job-board
SAVE THE DATES: Interviews will take place as qualified candidates are identified.
Please contact your recruiter, Wendi Brown, with any questions:
· Email to: email@example.com
· 866-929-WBCP (9227) – toll-free
To apply for this job please visit wbcp.applicantpool.com.