Website City of Long Beach
Manager of Branch Services
City of Long Beach
Department of Library Services
Annual Salary: $115,000 to $135,000 DOE/DOQ
The City of Long Beach seeks a Manager of Branch Services (Manager) to provide exceptional leadership to the nationally recognized Long Beach Public Library (LBPL), including oversight of 11 of the 12 branch library locations, 65 staff with 12 direct reports, and a departmental budget of approximately $16 million. This position will support the Director of Library Services in creating collaborative team dynamics, maintaining consistent communication, promoting positive change, and enhancing multilingual public programs across all branches. In 2017, LBPL was one of 10 organizations in the nation to receive the National Medal for Museum and Library Services – the highest honor given to libraries and museums that demonstrate excellence in service to their communities through innovative programs. The Manager provides both internal and external guidance to ensure the highest quality of library services and to promote the Library as an essential service to the quality of life in Long Beach. The ideal candidate will bring extensive knowledge and experience in a professional public library leadership, administration, or operations setting and possess a strong skillset for inspiring the community and leading the library workforce. The success of the selected candidate is highly predicated on their ability to demonstrate excellent customer service, vibrant and collaborative leadership, and the ability to build relationships within the community and across other City departments. This is a great opportunity to create your legacy, join an organization that is dedicated to its community, and make a difference in the lives of many!
See the full recruitment brochure here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/a598447e-5b45-4bef-a2cf-89df1bdc8ea5
Under the direction of the Library Services Director, the Branch Services Manager will oversee 11 of the 12 library branches, 12 direct reports, 65 personnel, and an approximate department budget of $18 million. The Manager will serve as a liaison to partner agencies and City departments, such as the Economic Development and Health and Human Services departments. Joint efforts among these departments include the expansion of services and resources to support people experiencing homelessness. Providing new perspectives, encouraging resourceful change, and championing meaningful team building is critical to the role. The LBPL was recently granted an additional $1 million of annual funding and $800,000 of one-time funding to accommodate structural improvements across the library system. This individual has the exciting responsibility to work directly with the Director to determine the best use of these funds. Furthermore, this leader will be well seasoned in this field and use their expertise to grow staff capabilities and support LBPL in being a trailblazer for public libraries.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and big picture thinker who facilitates an environment that embraces creative and resourceful change. The LBPL is undergoing some exciting changes due to increased funding, so someone with experience running a six-day public library system is highly desired. The successful candidate will have strong operational skills and serve as a leader who will empower and develop staff and encourage rethinking the way the Library provides services to the community. The ideal candidate will have a background in creative service models and facilitating large changes in an organization. In addition to these winning qualities, the next Manager will also be highly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and create opportunities for a more engaged community.
The next Branch Services Manager will also…
- Present new, progressive approaches to traditional models for programming and service delivery.
- Be a collaborative problem solver and a relationship-based team player who effectively communicates and shares information with peers and staff.
- Be a personable and participative listener, communicator, and collaborator, with strong interpersonal skills to be able to motivate and energize staff.
- Demonstrate energetic and engaged leadership for instituting positive change and improving systems, practices, and processes and will have an absolute commitment to service.
- Possess a high-level of ethics and a strong sense of integrity.
- Work in a diverse and labor/management partnership environment.
- Maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with all levels of staff, vendors, and the public.
- Master of Library Science degree from an accredited college or university
- 5 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience and/or administrative experience at the level of Senior or Principal Librarian
- Experience working with DEI programs/initiatives
- Familiarity with developing mentorship/staff development programs
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $115,000 to $135,000 annually, plus an attractive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY: For first consideration, apply by April 9th at:
SECURE THE DATES:
- Round one virtual interviews will take place on May 1st. Finalists will move forward to round two in-person interviews on May 8th. (Candidates invited to interview will need to be available for both days.)
Please contact your recruiter, Sam Sackman, with any questions:
- 541-630-0657 (Direct)
- 866-929-9227 (Toll Free)
To apply for this job please visit wbcpinc.com.