Website City_of_MV City of Mill Valley
SALARY | $5,949 – $7,971/ Month DOE
DEADLINE TO APPLY | Wednesday, April 5, 2023 @ 5 PM
The City of Mill Valley is accepting applications for the vacant position of Public Works Inspector. Mill Valley is a full-service city located 10 miles north of San Francisco and has a rich history with engaged residents. Mill Valley is primarily a suburban community, with a thriving downtown and distinctive residential neighborhoods. The City’s approximately 14,000 residents live in a 4.8 square mile area. The City of Mill Valley has a staff of almost 150 employees.
The Public Works Department includes the divisions of Engineering, Operations (Building, Parks, Streets and Sewers, and Fleet Maintenance) and Wastewater Treatment. With the complement of 47 staff, a $5.6 million operational budget, and oversight of the $30 million 5-year Capital Improvement Program, the department offers a full range of services and support for residents, businesses, and City departments.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under direction of the Director of Public Works, or designee, the Public Works Inspector performs routine field inspections of public works, maintenance, right of way encroachment, Capital Improvement, and similar projects; to ensure compliance with plans, specifications, and contract provisions. There is an opportunity for this position to also serve a neighboring agency.
Examples of assignments include (but are not limited to):
- Inspect and review assigned projects from inception to completion and recommend field changes.
Field inspects a variety of private and public works projects, such as roadway paving, striping, sidewalks, driveway, sewer facilities, underground infrastructure, hydrants, curbs and gutters, retaining walls, earthwork, street excavation and patchwork, streetlights, traffic signals, storm water systems, building and other facilities.
- Prepare progress reports, recommend progress payments and maintain daily diary, field records including sketches, photographs, drafting and narrative notes; and process the necessary documents.
- Conduct construction meetings with contractors, public agencies, utilities, the general public; answer citizen inquiries and assist with public outreach as necessary.
- Review, issue, and inspect encroachment and grading permits.
- Proactively inspect for and address non-compliant right of way encroachments and sidewalk deficiencies.
- Monitor contractor safety practices and make on-site accident investigation and reports.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Possession of a valid CA Driver’s License
- Three (3) years of experience performing construction inspection, engineering field work, surveying or materials testing on public capital improvement projects, right of way improvements and/or encroachment permit work.
- QSP/QSD – Qualified SWPP Practitioner is preferred.
Health Insurance – The City pays the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan and up to the same amount for an HMO with Western Health Advantage. Currently both plan options (Kaiser or Western Health Advantage) have premiums covered by the City so there is no out-of-pocket cost to the employee paid toward the monthly premium.
Dental Insurance – The City pays the full premium for coverage with Delta Dental.
Schedule – City staff typically work a “9/80” schedule with alternating Fridays off. This position is eligible for consideration of hybrid telework options and flexible hours following successful completion of a probationary period.
Leave – the City offers generous leave, including:
- Vacation – 2 to 5 weeks depending on service time
- Sick – 12 days per year
- Holidays – 15 total (11 named plus 4 floating) per year
- Administrative Leave – up to 3 days per year
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or that have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan (with up to $600 in matching by the city)
- City pays the premiums for a $50,000 life insurance plan, as well as Long-Term Disability insurance.
- Career development program and ample training.
- Free & discounted use of City recreational facilities and programs, including: indoor pool, gym, summer camps, enrichment classes, and more!
The City of Mill Valley utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications. Please contact Human Resources Manager Seth Allingham for any questions regarding this recruitment, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit www.calopps.org.