Website CityofNapa City of Napa
Careers Grow Here!
Do you have expertise in the areas of municipal finance and governmental fund accounting? Are you passionate about leading and developing other finance professionals? Then APPLY today to join a dynamic and collaborative team that strives to deliver high quality service to the community we serve!
The Finance Department consists of 36 full-time employees and a proposed annual department budget of $9,044,780 for FY22/23. The Finance Department consists of the Administration, Accounting & Auditing, and Revenue divisions. The department is responsible for safeguarding public financial resources, providing the City Council with thoughtful policy analysis and development of financially sound funding options, developing the City budget, utility billing, overseeing purchasing activities, and assisting city departments to implement their programs through budget development and management, and reporting the city’s financial activity in a clear and understandable manner to the organization and the community.
The Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a local government professional with strong technical knowledge in municipal finance, including governmental fund accounting, auditing, budget development, payroll and billing operations to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Finance Director. Reporting directly to the Finance Director, this position will assist in managing and directing the Finance Department with regard to treasury, accounts payable, payroll, billing and collections, utility billing, budgeting, and long-term debt issuance, and administration. The Deputy Finance Director will join a collaborative team who has a strong commitment to high quality service delivery, and will be a sounding board to Finance staff. Strong accounting skills, preferably in municipal government, and experience in debt service (bonds), community facility districts, journal entries, preparing the Annual City’s Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), Single Audit and State Controller’s Report, fund balance and payroll functions, and purchasing is critical. A candidate with knowledge in the Munis ERP system, will have an opportunity to assist the department with post-go live activities related to the transfer of payroll, utility billing and financials into Munis.
The ideal candidate is personable, approachable, committed to interdepartmental communication and collaboration. You will capitalize on the strengths of the Department staff, provide general guidance and support while encouraging the team to continue to work independently. The new Deputy Finance Director will establish a work environment where employee input is valued, and will hold regular check-in meetings with the various functional areas to create a cohesive team. As a resource for staff, we are looking for someone with a calming presence, who will be an advocate for staff within and throughout the organization. A candidate with good communication skills, an open-door policy approach, and a commitment to being accessible and visible within the department and throughout the organization is vital. The next Deputy Finance Director will exhibit political acumen and the ability to work collaboratively with labor, City staff, and bring a spirit of collaboration to the Executive Team.
Final round in-person interviews tentatively scheduled for Thursday, June 15, 2023.
In addition to your qualifications, you will have experience demonstrating the following:
– Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills – Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise; using knowledge to accomplish results.
– Emotional Intelligence – Establishing and sustaining positive relationships by accurately perceiving and interpreting own and others’ emotions and behavior; using insights to efficiently respond so that one’s behavior matches one’s values and delivers intended results.
– Coaching & Developing Others – Providing instruction and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; planning and supporting the development of individual skills and abilities.
– Planning & Organizing – Establishing an action plan for self and others to complete work efficiently and on time by setting priorities, establishing timelines, and using resources.
– Project Management – Designs, implements and manages ongoing projects and provides related resources, personnel and activities to successful completion.
– Leading Teams – Using appropriate methods and interpersonal styles to develop, empower, and guide the team to attain successful outcomes and business objectives.
– Adaptability – Maintaining efficiency when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures. Adapting quickly to change and easily considering innovative ideas.
– Resolving Conflict – Helping others deal with an antagonistic situation to minimize damage to the relationships and promote shared goals; using appropriate interpersonal methods to reduce tension between two or more people and facilitate agreement.
– Operational Decision Making – Securing and comparing information from multiple sources to identify business issues; committing to an action after weighing alternative solutions against important decision criteria.
– Aligning Performance for Success – Focusing and guiding individual performance by helping others set performance goals and then, tracking results and evaluating performance effectiveness.
For a full, detailed job description, click here.
This recruitment and examination is being conducted to fill one full-time vacancy and may be used to fill future related full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list. The active status of this employment list will be for six (6) months, unless abolished sooner or extended beyond that date in accordance with the Civil Service Rules.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.