The City of Oakland is an equal-opportunity employer that values workforce diversity, inclusion, and equity. Oakland has a long history of activism around issues of justice and equity. Both oppression and this resistance to oppression have shaped the city’s historical roots and the lives of its residents to this day. As public servants in one of the most diverse cities in the nation, we strive to develop employees who understand the harm and impacts of systemic inequity to create lasting, meaningful outcomes for everyone. Oakland strives to establish an environment that embraces the richness of culture, community, and individualism of employees.
Why join the City of Oakland City Administrator’s Office?
The City Administrator’s Office provides strategic leadership that supports the Mayor, City Council and City-wide Departments; the Office motivates and challenges the organization to deliver efficient and effective services toward equitable outcomes in the community.
The City of Oakland is seeking a highly skilled City Administrator Analyst to serve as the Citywide Agenda Coordinator. The ideal candidate must have a strong work ethic, perform well under pressure, be committed to customer service, be adaptable, well-organized, and possesses the ability to review highly technical reports to the City Council.
This position receives general supervision from a Deputy City Administrator, may provide direct and indirect supervision over assigned technical and clerical personnel, and performs related duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone who is:
Able to work as part of a team and independently. You will be expected to work both independently and on projects that will require collaboration with other City staff.
Detail-oriented. You will be expected to pay close attention to every element and aspect of work products to ensure they are error-free and completed to the highest standards.
Self-motivated. You will be expected to take initiative, apply sound judgement, and use your resources to solve problems.
A strong relationship builder with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You will have the opportunity to interface with multiple City departments, elected officials and the public. With this, you will get to establish meaningful professional relationships and communicate with a variety of audiences.
Organized and results-driven. You will need to balance multiple assignments and priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Adaptable. You will need to adapt to changing situations and environments, with the ability to take instructions from multiple senior-level staff members.
Interested in learning and developing their career. In addition to the opportunity to work on Council-related matters, you will have access to Race and Equity, supervisory and other technical trainings. And, once a City employee, you enjoy hiring preference for all City jobs.
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Reviewing City Council agenda materials and staff reports.
- Preparing and analyzing complex reports.
- Supporting the organization to develop efficient systems and accurate reporting structures to improve the management of the City’s legislative process.
- Working with City staff and Councilmembers to manage the agendas and report production for the six standing City Council committees.
- Advising the public on matters pertaining to Council agendas, forthcoming reports, and meeting participation.
- Assisting in tracking agenda reports through their life cycle: preparation, presentation to Council, and final action by Council.
- Developing trainings and other information for City staff on current Council procedures, including the content of agenda reports and legislation.
Read the complete job description by clicking this: City of Oakland – Class Specification Bulletin (governmentjobs.com)
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will have the opportunity to work on a team that makes a positive difference in the lives of Oakland residents.
- You will work with people who are passionate about their craft and care about collaboration.
- You will have excellent learning opportunities to grow and develop your public administration skills and abilities.
- As a full-service City, Oakland will continually provide you with daily challenges and variety that keep things exciting.
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- Learning how to navigate Oakland’s complex legislative process.
- Providing responsive, timely support while balancing multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Being front and center at Council Committee meetings.
- Ensuring that City staff adheres to City procedures.
- Attention to Detail: Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products.
- Teamwork: Building and maintaining professional relationships, collaborating with others to achieve shared goals.
- Action & Results Focused (Taking Initiative): Initiating tasks and focusing on accomplishment.
- Adaptability: Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires.
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability.
- Managing Performance: Ensuring superior individual and group performance.
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation: Understanding, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations.
- Establishing Credibility: Doing what one commits to doing and respecting the confidentiality of information and concerns shared by others.
- Critical Thinking: Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims.
- Handling Stress: Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity.
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing.
- Political & Organizational Savvy: Working skillfully with politics, procedures, and protocols across organizational levels and boundaries.
- Leadership: Guiding and encouraging others to accomplish a common goal.
- Oral Communication: Engaging effectively in dialogue.
- Professional Impact: Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization.
Minimum Requirements for ApplicationEducation:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in public or business administration, economics, accounting, or related field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
Three years of experience performing progressively responsible administrative work.
Previous experience working in a municipal government.
Master’s degree in public or business administration economics, accounting, or a related field.
Supplemental InformationThe Recruitment Process:
This is an at-will position, exempt from the provisions of the City of Oakland Civil Service Rules, per Charter Section 902. All applications received will be forwarded to the City Administrator’s Office for further consideration.
Meeting the minimum qualification requirements may not result in further consideration, only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- What’s in it for you? Work/Life Balance: 37.5 hour work weeks, and a flexible/hybrid remote schedule
- 15 paid holidays
- Vacation: 2 weeks per year minimum with the ability to accrue more depending on public sector years of service
- Retirement: CalPERS (California Public Employees’ Retirement System) with a pension formula of 2.5% @ 55 (for Classic CalPERS members) and 2% @ 62 for new CalPERS members. Classic Employees contribute 8% of pre-tax wages. The City of Oakland does not participate in Social Security
- Health: The City of Oakland pays the full cost of employee and eligible dependent coverage at the Kaiser rate. Other plans include Anthem, Blue Shield, United Health Care, and other HMO and PPO plans
- Dental: Delta Dental full premium for employees and eligible dependents
- Vision: VSP full premium for employees and eligible dependents
- Sick leave: Employees accrue 12 days per year
- Deferred Compensation: 457(b) pre-tax plan and an after-tax ROTH 401(k)plan
- Other benefits include a Flexible Spending Account, Wellness Program, Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Life Insurance up to $200k & Employee Training.
Applicants are required to submit criminal history information upon request after receiving a conditional offer of employment. If the requested information is not furnished in a timely manner, applicants will not qualify for further consideration and will be removed from the eligible list.
NOTICE: The City of Oakland has adopted a COVID-19 Employee Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Under the policy, all employees must, as a condition of employment: (1) report their vaccination status to the City no later than November 15, 2021; and (2) be fully vaccinated and verify that vaccination status to the City no later than November 29, 2021, unless the employee has applied for an exemption and is awaiting the City’s response or has been granted an exemption, or unless stricter State or Federal legal requirements apply. If offered employment, you will receive instructions regarding how to provide verification of vaccination or how to apply for an exemption which will be required prior to your start date. You may read the entire policy here (Download PDF reader).
The City of Oakland reserves the right to modify the selection process and date of examination as necessary to conform to administrative or business necessity. The information contained in this announcement is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
How to Apply
Apply prior to the closing time of the job announcement and allow at least two to three hours to submit your application if you are a new user on the system. APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ONLINE ONLY. You may apply and view current openings by visiting our employment opportunities webpage at:
If you do not have access to a computer, there are computer stations available at any City of Oakland Public Library. There are also workstations at the Human Resources Management Department, 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612. Workstations are available during regular business hours (normally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Due to current events and pandemic-related safety concerns, City facilities may be closed to the public.
Our online application system is provided by NeoGov. If you have problems while applying online, please contact NeoGov’s Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627 between 6:00 AM and 5:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday – Friday. You may also call the City of Oakland Human Resources Management Department during regular business hours at (510) 238-3112 for information; however, we are unable to provide technical support for the online application system.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.