Website City of Patterson
JOB TITLE: Director of Recreation and Community Services
AGENCY: City of Patterson
LOCATION: Patterson, CA
FILING DEADLINE: June 16, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $148,941 to $181,039
Under the general direction of the City Manager, the Director is responsible to plan, direct and lead the planning, development, maintenance and operation of all recreation facilities and community service programs for our City Youth, Senior and Adult residents. The Director will provide responsible and complex leadership to demonstrate the role of recreation in enhancing community vitality. He/she will be responsible for research and evaluation as part of strategic planning. The Director will represent the City to other agencies and organizations to develop partnerships that nurture the City’s community programs and facilities. The Director will facilitate community problem solving and have the ability to be flexible and change plans based on the needs of the community. The Director will be committed to the professional development of staff and perform related duties as required.
· Develop community knowledge and build partnerships and coalitions that will identify the Department as a community focal point.
· Engage in strategic thinking to analyze and evaluate the present and future needs for recreation and community service programs and facilities.
· Formulate and recommend Department policies, priorities and objectives that will offer recreation experiences and foster human development, health and wellness, cultural unity, safety and security, and community identity.
· Research trends, demographics and assess community needs to project changes and to plan strategically for the future.
· Manage the selection, supervision, training and evaluation of Department personnel. Evaluate personnel based on performance. Counsel personnel to correct deficiencies and implement disciplinary procedures as may be necessary.
· Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of programs and services, based on desired outcomes. Assess workloads, administrative support systems, and internal working relationships to identify opportunities for improvement.
· Direct the maintenance services for all recreation facilities to ensure the safety and security of users.
· Provide advisory support to the Recreation Commission and Senior Board, and act as liaison to other citizen committees, community agencies and governmental agencies to facilitate land conservation, park development and the delivery of recreation programs and services.
· Assist with and negotiate with residential developers and other public agencies for dedication of land or fees for park purposes.
· Prepare and administer the Department operating and capital improvement budgets, manage capital equipment purchases and all expenditures and revenue of the Department.
· Coordinate the development of grants, legislative appropriations, corporate sponsorships, donations and other fund-raising programs to fund services and programs.
· Assist the City Manager with special projects such as tourism promotion and community marketing efforts.
· Establish a customer service philosophy in the Department to respond to citizen inquiries and resolve difficult or controversial issues.
· Prepare and present verbal and written reports to City Council, Commissions, governmental agencies and community groups.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, creative, forward-thinking, inspirational leader that manages with integrity, intelligence, high energy, and humility. The incumbent will have the ability to identify, evaluate, and execute revenue strategies and enhancements as well as the ability to spearhead growth and facility development. The successful candidate should be a change agent with strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build solid working relationships with staff, department heads, elected officials, and other key stakeholders. The City is building a strong leadership team and the successful candidate should continue to build on this positive approach of collaborative teamwork, employee development, and creating trust with colleagues through active listening and solutions-oriented dialogue. The next Director of Recreation and Community Services must have a solid understanding of recreation programming, sports facilities, and development of staff and facilities. They must be hands-on, and possess a willingness and the ability to mentor employees while creating a positive working environment – be accessible, approachable, accountable for decision making and be open to new ideas.
In the heart of the San Joaquin Valley, the vibrant City of Patterson offers residents a safe, diverse, and friendly community rich in heritage. The City has an estimated resident population of 23,808 and is located in Stanislaus County. It is 45 miles southeast of Livermore and part of the Modesto Metropolitan Statistical Area. Patterson is known as the “Apricot Capital of the World”. Patterson is a rural, small town surrounded by agricultural land and has grown immensely during the past decade.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Rev2-Patterson-DPCS.pdf
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references, at least three of which are current or prior supervisors (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/director-of-recreation-community-services/
For additional information, please contact:
To apply for this job please visit koffassociates.com.