The Recreation Manager has the responsibility for the management of multi-disciplinary programs that include the City’s multiple sports complexes, fields, gyms and Dolores Bengtson Aquatic Center.
The Recreation Manager supervises a variety of positions including full-time and part-time staff, contract class instructors, and volunteers. In addition to managing the Sports and Aquatics Division, the position acts as a liaison to the Sports Council, and the Pleasanton Unified School District as well as and other committees and community groups as necessary in the course of work. The Recreation Manager also makes presentations to the City Council, Parks and Recreation Commission and community organizations. The Recreation Manager coordinates projects among a variety of committees, contractors, staff and outside agencies,
develops and monitors multiple program budgets and generates additional resources for projects and programs
through sponsorships and fundraising.
In addition, the Recreation Manager:
• Provides highly complex administrative support to the Director and Assistant Director of Library and Recreation
• Selects, trains, motivates, supervises, and evaluates program staff; assigns, reviews and oversees the work of
all assigned staff.
• Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies and procedures in areas of responsibility and assists in
assessing and developing goals and objectives for the Department to meet the needs of the community.
• Determines need for contractual services, equipment and supplies and makes recommendations to the Assistant
Director and Director.
• Develops, manages and monitors program budgets; prepares budget-related reports; forecasts revenues
and funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies.
• Prepares staff reports and makes presentations to various commissions, committees and community groups; serves as a liaison to community groups, school districts, outside agencies, developers, contractors and other departments.
• Supports the Library and Recreation Department Strategic Plan and embodies the department’s Mission, Vision, Values and Leadership Creed.
The ideal candidate for Recreation Manager will be an organized, detail oriented, poised professional with a strong customer service orientation and a positive attitude. Any equivalent combination of training and experience that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential duties of the job. A typical way to accomplish this would be a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or
university with major coursework in recreation administration, leisure studies, kinesiology, sports events, facility management or closely related field; and four years of supervisory experience in the profession. Municipal work experience and sports and aquatics experience preferred.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
• The knowledge of modern principles and practices of administration and program development in recreation
and community services.
• The knowledge of principles and practices of budget and personnel management, including methods used in
supervision, training, performance management and staff development.
• The ability to exercise independent judgment and effectively respond to issues and concerns from the
• The ability to develop and administer program budgets, negotiate contracts, prepare and analyze complex
reports, analyze, interpret and explain department policies and procedures.
• The ability to work with Director and Assistant Director to establish a long-term plan and vision for the Library and Recreation Department that involves input from staff and others in the community.
• The skill to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public groups, agencies, the media and
• The skill to plan, organize and direct the activities of programs and facilities in areas of responsibility.
• The skill to make effective presentations and represent the City with outside agencies, the media and the public.
To apply for this job please visit www.pleasantonjobs.org.