Requisition Number: 202300117
Salary Range: $77,604.80 – $94,348.80
Application Deadline: 12/13/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Heavy Equipment Operator – Environmental Services Department (202300117)
Our diverse and inclusive workforce of more than 7,000 employees play a key role in the success of San José, the heart of the Silicon Valley. All City of San José employees work together as one team to make San José a vibrant, innovative, and desirable place to live and work. Visit here to learn more about San José.
About the Department
The San José Environmental Services Department (ESD) is responsible for the management of solid waste collection and recycling; watershed protection and pollution prevention; municipal drinking water and recycled water; community sustainability initiatives, and the operation and infrastructure improvements of the San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility. ESD’s mission is to deliver world class utility services and programs to improve our health, environment, and economy. ESD is comprised of a staff of over 530 with a diverse set of skills and specialties among our team. ESD staff demonstrate a strong commitment to teamwork, environmental protection, and building good partnerships.
To learn more about ESD, follow @sjenvironment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and San Jose Environmental Services on LinkedIn.
City of San José – Environmental Services Department is recruiting for a Heavy Equipment Operator at the San José -Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility (RWF). Under general supervision, the Heavy Equipment Operator performs work of moderate difficulty in the operation of heavy equipment at the RWF. In this around-the-clock operation, assignments may require work on weekends and holidays.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Participates in the accomplishment of projects in sludge drying operations such as the construction of roads, dredging and pumping of sludge into drying beds, mixing and windrowing of sludge, and hauling of sludge to an on-site stockpile area; supervises sampling of liquid and dried sludge according to standardized procedures; operates and supervises the operation of motor graders, bulldozers, rubber tire & track loaders, sludge dredges, conveyors, tractors, excavators, backhoes, and chip spreaders; directs the purchase of materials, equipment and services, inventory and control of supplies, spare parts, and equipment for use in the work area; trains equipment operators in assigned duties and skill development, and evaluates progress; plans, schedules, and assigns work based on progress towards production goals, and continually evaluates work performance; may be required to work different shifts; assures safe working practices and conditions for assigned crew; may test atmosphere for adequate oxygen and explosive conditions; may work in confined spaces.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience.
*Heavy Equipment Operator Annual Salary Range: $77,604.80 – $94,348.80 Annually
(Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
– Operates a 15-ton truck crane, 20-ton tractor and tilt trailer on grade-all.
– Operates a motor grader to set crowns for roads and streets, to finish grade bottoms, dry lagoons and to repair roads and dikes.
– Operates a chip spreader for sealing streets.
– Operates a backhoe to excavate for pipes and sewer line repairs; backfills excavated areas.
– Operates a bulldozer for cleaning fire trails and creek beds and for mixing and windrowing sludge to enhance solar drying.
– Operates a compactor, scraper, and roller to level and compact refuse at disposal grounds.
– Operates a loader with a one-ton or over capacity to pull out stumps, rip asphalt/concrete, load dirt into trucks, rough grade properties, load “chips”, bury refuse, load sludge and do general cleanup.
– Operates a floating sludge dredge to remove sludge from storage lagoons when maximum efficiency levels are reached.
– Operates a conveyor to remove grit and debris from digesters.
– Performs minor field repair and service on assigned equipment.
– Observes and reports possible problems with utility lines and other obstructions that might be affected by the movement of earth.
– May collect samples of liquid and dried sludge according to standardized procedures in wastewater treatment operations.
– Tests atmosphere for adequate oxygen and explosive conditions for safety while working in confined spaces.
– May provide lead guidance to assigned personnel.
Training and Experience
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to completion of high school or possession of a General Educational Development (GED) certificate and three (3) years of experience operating heavy motorized equipment such as that used in the construction trades, or successful completion of the Heavy Equipment Operator Trainee program with the City of San Jose.
Possession of a valid State of California Class A driver’s license with applicable endorsements is required.
Minimum Knowledges, Skills and Abilities
– Knowledge of the operation of heavy construction equipment, including bulldozers, backhoes, loaders, rollers, motor graders and related experience.
– Knowledge of minor equipment repairs and adjustments.
– Ability to utilize heavy equipment in grading, excavating, bulldozing, loading, compacting, moving of wastewater sludge and related applications.
– Ability to read grade stakes, and construction plans.
You must answer all job-specific questions to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration. If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Chris Caruthers at email@example.com.
Heavy Equipment Operator Bargaining Unit is OE#3
California Equal Pay Act http://www.sjcity.net/DocumentCenter/View/18980
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The application deadline is 11:59 PM on the final filing date, Wednesday December 13, 2023. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285 or via email at Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent an approved medical or religious exemption. Fully vaccinated means a person has received the following:
- Two doses of the monovalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the monovalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
How to Apply
The requisition # for this job posting is 202300117. To view the full job announcement and apply for this position, please go to: www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST APPLY & SUBMIT YOUR JOB APPLICATION AT www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A CITY OF SAN JOSE JOB OPPORTUNITY.
*Do not click on a resume or application service offered by a job board*
Contact – Chris Caruthers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – https://www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com