Website City of San José
Requisition Number: 2300603
Salary Range: $86,420.88 – $105,006.72 Annually
Application Deadline: June 5, 2023
Microbiologist – Environmental Services Department – (2300603)
About the Department
The Environmental Services Department (ESD) is a national leader in pollution prevention, watershed protection, utility service provision, and climate action. Together, ESD employees positively impact every resident and business in San Jose.
Our department is an exceptional place to start or grow your career. We have a supportive leadership team, numerous professional growth opportunities, and an inclusive workplace culture that is welcoming of your talents! We offer an array of meaningful career paths and value flexibility – offering hybrid work and alternative work schedules in select roles. Additionally, the City benefits, as well as 15 paid holidays
To learn more about ESD, follow @sjenvironment on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and San Jose Environmental Services on LinkedIn.
About the Watershed Protection Division:
The Watershed Protection Division strives to preserve and sustain natural aquatic resources by connecting people to their watershed and the San Francisco Bay by helping them understand how their daily activities affect water quality. The Watershed Protection Division is approximately 100 employees and is responsible for stormwater management, environmental enforcement, source control and laboratory services. Stormwater Management coordinates a wide array of activities, such as education, outreach, trash reduction and collaboration with County wide stakeholders to protect and to prevent pollution into the waterways. Environmental Enforcement provides inspection, education, and enforcement services to ensure that local discharges into the storm and sanitary sewers meet regulatory requirements and protect water quality. The Pretreatment Program administers federal requirements that includes permitting and compliance monitoring to industrial that discharges into the sanitary sewer system and Region Wastewater Facility. Lastly, Laboratory Services provides scientific analysis for monitoring operations and compliance at the Regional Wastewater Facility that addresses water quality issues entering into the Bay.
Positions & Duties
Per the City’s COVID19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy the City requires all employees starting on or after February 11, 2022, to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent a documented medical and/or religious exemption. Proof of vaccination means that employees are required to be “up to date” with regard to the COVID-19 vaccine. Consistent with the Santa Clara County Public Health Order issued on December 28, 2021, “up to date” means that an employee is not only “fully vaccinated,” but has also obtained any booster doses of a COVID-19 vaccination for which they are eligible, within 15 days of first becoming eligible.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third-party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
This position works on-site at the Laboratory located at 4245 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA. Hybrid work is not available for this position.
Wastewater Microbiologist Positions
The laboratory is seeking to fill three (3) Wastewater Microbiologist positions for the San Jose Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility Laboratory. The Wastewater Microbiologists will perform technical and professional work involving the microscopic, microbiological, and chemical analysis of water, wastewater, receiving waters, and by-products of the wastewater treatment processes.
Key responsibilities of the Wastewater Microbiologist positions include but are not limited to:
- Performs microbiological, and chemical analyses on water, wastewater, industrial waste, and related samples for specific inorganic and organic substances.
- Conducts regular microscopic examinations to identify bacterial, protozoan, and metazoan organisms associated with the wastewater treatment process.
- Performs the biomonitoring testing requirements within the laboratory, including the care and maintenance of aquatic species used in bioassays.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of microbiological and biological characteristics and standard analytical methods related to water and wastewater; knowledge of the principles of water and wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of and experience with modern laboratory procedures, techniques and equipment, and the ability to utilize such equipment; knowledge of laboratory safety and quality assurance methods and procedures; knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations relevant for analytical methods and water quality programs; knowledge and skills in experimental design procedures and scientific methods development
Molecular Microbiologist Position
The laboratory is seeking to fill one (1) Molecular Microbiologist position. The Molecular Microbiologist will perform polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays and related molecular analysis to detect and quantify Ribonucleic acid (RNA) and Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) of microorganisms.
Key responsibilities of the Molecular Microbiologist position include but are not limited to:
- Handles water and wastewater samples for extraction of viral, bacterial and parasitological nucleic acid.
- Ability to perform extraction and purification of nucleic acids.
- Sets up PCR testing protocols for Digital/Real Time qPCR and implements PCR best practices in an environmental laboratory setting.
- Ensures proper preparation and storage of PCR related reagents and samples.
- Identifies PCR consumables and maintains stock inventory.
- Ability to evaluate results to determine interference, inhibition, or other problems that arise during extraction and amplification of DNA and RNA.
- Performs quality control and validation to verify performance of the PCR protocols as needed.
- Ability to train current team in PCR workflow and ensure they follow PCR best practices and techniques.
- Monitors and evaluates problems related to plant operations and laboratory analyses and recommends solutions to alleviate such problem situations.
- Performs the more complicated and research related biological, chemical, and microbiological analyses of water, wastewater, industrial waste and related samples.
- Determines sampling procedures and programs, implements and monitors the quality assurance and quality control program, and recommends methods and procedures for implementation into normal laboratory operations.
- Leading and mentoring the daily work activities within the laboratory including the instruction of laboratory personnel and the maintenance of appropriate inventories of laboratory supplies.
- Assists with the organization and analysis of information from industry, government agencies and the public, which may include hearings, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Compiles records and manages laboratory data and records; provides organization of record keeping and data retrieval; supervises clerical and other personnel as directed; prepares written and verbal reports as requested.
- Maintains equipment by performing assigned maintenance activities and troubleshoot unexpected problems.
- Prepares and maintains Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) and technical documentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge, principles and experience of real time quantitative PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) and/or Digital PCR assays with environmental samples. Knowledge and experience with environmental sample extraction of nucleic acids (RNA/DNA) and removal of inhibitors.
- Knowledge and experience with optimizing and developing PCR assays, techniques, and related equipment such as thermocyclers and automated extraction platforms. Knowledge and skills in experimental design procedures and scientific methods development.
If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Education: Any combination of training or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in bacteriology, microbiology or related discipline.
Experience: Two (2) years’ (4060 hours) experience working in a Laboratory environment.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Janie Scanlan at Janie.Scanlan@sanjoseca.gov
Link to Benefits page: https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-government/departments-offices/human-resources/benefits
Link to Department website: http://www.sjenvironment.org
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on Monday, June 5, 2023. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
How to Apply
The requisition # for this job posting is 2300704. To view the full job announcement and apply for this position, please go to: www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST APPLY & SUBMIT YOUR JOB APPLICATION AT www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A CITY OF SAN JOSE JOB OPPORTUNTITY.
*Do not click on a resume or application service offered by a job board*
Contact – Janie Scanlan at Janie.Scanlan@sanjoseca.gov
Website – https://www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers
To apply for this job please visit www.sanjoseca.gov.