Website CITY OF SANTA CLARA
Silicon Valley Power, Maps & Records department has an excellent opportunity for the position of Engineering Aide (Electric). Job responsibilities include, prepares scaled and dimensioned plans based on sketches prepared by engineering estimating personnel, maintains records of as-builts and updates existing SVP maps and records utilizing ESRI-based GIS applications, Maintains master map files, including such records of block maps, street light maps, fiber communication, electric utility single line and operating diagrams and other maps, Performs computing and drafting operations in AutoCAD, involved in checking drawings of electric utility facilities, perform other duties as assigned.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Under general supervision:
• Participates in field survey activities such as assisting with measuring and recording distances and elevation using Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment
• Prepares maps and drawings using geographic information system (GIS) tools to place symbols and apply color codes for the identification of facilities
• Receives, reviews, provides comments, files, and returns maps, documents, and plans using AUTOCAD
• Performs scaling and dimensioning to verify the accuracy of maps and plans
• Assists in conducting field inventory of existing primary and secondary conductors, transformers, switches, poles, pole attachments, manholes, and conduit locations
• Draws and updates electrical schematic diagrams, panel wiring diagrams, substation layout drawings using AUTOCAD, and organizes associated documentation
• Prepares scaled and dimensioned plans, using AUTOCAD based on sketches prepared by engineering/estimating personnel
• Operates a computer and standard office plotting/copying equipment
• Conducts records research including job files, property ownership, easement and right-of-way records
• Maintains records of equipment databases, log books, and map inventories
• Operates passenger vehicles requiring Class C driver’s license
• Orders office drafting supplies, manages outside reproduction services, and coordinates vendor services for office drafting equipment maintenance
• Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Graduation from an accredited junior college with an Associate of Arts degree or higher in engineering or its equivalent, including satisfactory completion of college level courses in writing, mathematics, engineering and related courses; and
• One (1) year working with geographic information system (GIS) tools and systems or one (1) year working with computer-aided drafting (AUTOCAD).
• One year (1) experience working with computer-aided drafting (AUTOCAD) and one year (1) experience working with geographic information system (GIS).
• Completion of courses in GIS and AUTOCAD.
• Three (3) years of work experience performing mapping/drafting activities of electric utility facilities, involving the use of CAD and GIS systems and tools may substitute for the required education and experience.
Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
• Employees are required to pass initial and periodic comprehensive background checks, which may include fingerprinting, to meet Federal, State and/or industry security requirements.
• Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the job assignment.
Candidates must attain a passing score on each phase of the examination process to qualify for the Eligible List. A department interview will be required prior to appointment.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS: This position qualifies for Veteran’s Preference Points. Applicants who have separated from service (Active Duty Status) must submit proof of honorable discharge (Form DD214) with their application at time of filing or will be ineligible to have points added to their final score.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• General principles of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and mechanical drawing
• Principles and practices of engineering drafting and basic graphic design
• Standard personal computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
• Document control, retrieval, and filing systems
• Prepare neat and accurate drawings, diagrams, dimensions, representations, and schematics using GIS and CAD tools
• Select and use appropriate drafting, and duplicating equipment and materials
• Read, interpret and apply engineering terminology and symbols
• Retrieve, file, and code drawings and diagrams and prepare brief reports
• Maintain organized and complete records
• Utilize ESRI Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Utilize AutoDesk AutoCAD software applications
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Understand and comprehend oral and written directions and instructions
• Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet strict deadlines
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including the general public
• Work in a team based environment and achieve common goals
• Deal tactfully and courteously with others
• Walk, sit, or stand for extended periods of time
• Perform moderate physical labor including bending, stooping, crawling, climbing, and lifting as necessary to perform assigned duties.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Applications must be filled out completely (i.e. do not write “see resume or personnel file.”). To receive consideration for the screening process, candidates must submit a 1) Cover Letter and, 2) Resume. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Application packets may be submitted online through the “Apply Now” feature on the job announcement at www.santaclaraca.gov. Applications must be submitted by the filing deadline of Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 4:00 PM.
The City of Santa Clara is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful under any federal, state or local laws. The City of Santa Clara is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at (408) 615-2080 or HumanResources@santaclaraca.gov.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.