Website City of Union City
City of Union City
*This is an Open (External), Continuous Recruitment: External recruitments are open to both outside and internal applicants and will be opened until filled. Applications will be reviewed on weekly basis; first review 11/9/2023.
Under administrative direction, plans, organizes, and directs the Office of the City Clerk which is a division of the City Manager’s office. Plans, organizes, and coordinates municipal elections; maintains official City records; serves as a member of the City’s Management Team; supervises the City’s records management program; serves as Filing Officer/Official for the Fair Political Practices Commission; supervises administrative and clerical staff; and, performs other related duties as required.
This is a management position responsible for administration of the City Clerk Division’s operations. This single position class requires a thorough knowledge of municipal organization and operations, and the exercise of mature judgment. This class performs functions required of a City Clerk by State law. The incumbent works under the direction of the City Manager and/or Deputy City Manager.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (illustrative only):
- Plans, directs, and coordinates all activities of the City Clerk’s Office.
- Develops and implements the goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and priorities relative to the City Clerk’s Office.
- Supervises and prepares City Council agendas and packets under the administrative direction of the City Manager; attends Council meetings and records the actions of the City Council; prepares minutes of meetings and ensures the accurate and up-to-date filing of City ordinances, agreements, resolutions and minutes.
- Maintains the Union City Municipal Code, initiating and coordinating updates, codification, and supplementation of the Code.
- Plans, organizes and coordinates with Alameda County the conduct of municipal elections; ensures the legality of the proceedings in accordance with state and local election and campaign financing laws; serves as the City’s Election Officer; receives and processes initiative and referendum petitions; develops and manages the process for the filing of arguments and rebuttals associated with ballot initiatives.
- Administers the requirements of the Political Reform Act and regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Administers the City’s Conflict of Interest Code.
- Administers oaths of office and certifies copies of official City records.
- Receives and opens bids for City projects and purchases.
- Receives and processes liability claims filed against the City.
- Serves as custodian of the City Seal and official City Records and documents, keeping all records properly indexed for ready reference.
- Receives and coordinates all public records requests for City records covered under the Public Records Act; and, provides information to the public and staff concerning City Council actions, laws, ordinances, codes, and procedures.
- Ensures City agreements, contracts and other legal documents are signed and recorded/archived, and public notices and ordinances are published.
- Monitors the workflow, plans, organizes, directs, supervises, and evaluates City
- Clerk’s Office staff and service levels.
- Develops and prepares the City Clerk’s Office annual budget and monitors expenditures throughout the year.
- Coordinates City Clerk’s Office activities with other City departments, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Conducts the recruitment and appointment process for membership on boards and commissions.
- Performs required duties under the City’s disaster response plan.
- Supervises citywide Records and Information Management (RIM) Program and systems for retrieval and the systematic retention, transfer, archival or destruction of records in City departments; establishes and maintains records management procedural manuals; and provides for ongoing training of City personnel in records management.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit www.calopps.org.