Website Santa Barbara County Animal Services
Santa Barbara County Animal Services
County of Santa Barbara, California
Annual Salary: $120,976 – $147,045 DOE/DOQ
Are you ready to use your veterinarian and animal shelter expertise to contribute to the welfare of over 5,000 animals across Santa Barbara County? If so, then apply to join Santa Barbara County Animal Services (SBCAS) as their first in-house full-time Shelter Veterinarian! SBCAS seeks a collaborative and innovative animal-lover who enjoys working with the community and believes in the human-animal bond. The Shelter Veterinarian will oversee three registered vet technicians, six contract vets, three shelter facilities, and a medical budget of approximately $800k, plus an additional $300k from community partners. This essential role offers the opportunity to connect with the community on a variety of initiatives that encourage more responsible pet ownership and support for the SBCAS. This steadfast leader will think outside of the box, collaborate with others, and adjust to ever-changing situations. They will have the chance to build this position from the ground up and make it their own. If you are eager to give back to your community through comprehensive services where you can connect with others while directly impacting the lives of animals in need, apply today!
See the full recruitment brochure: https://indd.adobe.com/view/c13ee044-ecaf-4ff2-acd6-5d7441477fb1
The Shelter Veterinarian has the exciting opportunity to make this position their own, as this is the first time the County has had a full-time Veterinarian. While reporting to the Director of Animal Services, this role will oversee three registered vet technicians, six contracted veterinarians, and two animal shelter attendants across County-operated animal shelters. They will be responsible for overseeing the care of approximately 5k animals each year, and a three-facility system that has a live-release rate of 93%, developing schedules for veterinarians and vet techs, and scheduling and conducting surgeries. The Shelter Veterinarian will establish clinics that offer a safety net to keep pets with their families through medical emergencies and oversee the adoptions and fostering facilitated by the Department.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative team player who has a passion for working with community members, pet owners, and foster care volunteers and is looking for more work-life balance. They will have experience in a shelter setting and possess excellent customer-service skills with a strong belief in the value of the human-animal bond. Case management and creativity are at the heart of this position as is a strong desire to keep pets with the people who love them. Along with having strong technical skills, such as undergoing a high volume of spay-neuter surgeries, this leader will be highly organized, able to delegate work, and regularly manage timelines. They will understand the challenges and rapidly changing nature of working in a shelter and have the problem-solving skills to think on the spot. Most importantly, the successful candidate will be committed to the mission to better the lives of animals in need and the people who care for them.
Applicants must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
- An active license to practice as a veterinarian issued by the State of California Veterinary Medical Board. Registration as a Licensed Veterinarian issued by another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement providing the candidate applies for a Reciprocity Temporary License from the California Veterinary Medical Board prior to starting employment and completes the requirements to convert to a permanent license within one year (during the first year probationary period); and
- A minimum of two years of experience working in shelter medicine; and
- A valid Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) certificate/license for the prescription of controlled medications.
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid National Accreditation Number (NAN) issued by the National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP) within 60 days of hire date.
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver license.
- Willingness to provide veterinary premise license for each County shelter.
- Willingness to provide standby call coverage on weekdays, weekends, and holidays as well as being available for consultation after regular business hours.
- At least two years of supervisory or management experience.
- A veterinary degree with a focus on shelter medicine.
For more information, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sbcounty/classspecs/1443648?keywords=veterinarian&pagetype=classSpecifications
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Review applications and supplemental questionnaire to determine those applicants who meet the employment standards.
- Application Ranking: Applications that meet the employment standards will be evaluated and scored. Candidates’ final score and rank on the eligibility list will be determined by the information provided on their application based on the Ideal Candidate Statement on this bulletin.
Candidates must receive a percentage score of at least 70 on the Application Ranking to be placed on an employment list. An adjustment may be made to raw scores based on factors listed in Civil Service Rule VI. Those candidates who are successful in the selection process will have their names placed on the employment list for a minimum of three months. At the time the employment list is established, all candidates will receive written notice of their score on the exam(s), rank on the employment list, and exact duration of the employment list.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
An annual salary of $120,978 – $147,045 DOE/DOQ plus, a generous benefits package (see further details here)
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the vacancy is filled: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sbcounty/jobs/4035674/shelter-veterinarian?page=7&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Please contact your recruiter, Raquel Martinez, Senior Employment Analyst: RMartinez@countyofsb.org
Statement of Commitment: https://wbcpinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Statement-of-Commitment-PDF.pdf
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.